Thursday, July 5, 2007

Infinite 8

Frankly Wrankles issued a 'Power of 8’ challenge which Ramon and I have taken on, so here goes something.

My best friend R is obsessed with numerology, so much so that she has even written computer programmes to perform the calcultions. Simply punch in your date of birth and presto! - everything you need to know about yourself. Personally I would like to believe that I am a bit more complicated than a few digits.

Numerologists apparently consider the number 8 to be a very auspicious number, reinforced by many cultural myths over the centuries. Numerogically I am all about ‘8’ it would appear. I’m born on 24th August 1972.
3x8= 24
2x4=8
August is the 8th month of the year
born in ‘72
72 = 7+2= 9
9 x 8 = 72
1972 = 1+9+7+2 = 19
9-1=8

By the way, I have tagged 16 (2x8) people to date and for some strange reason my computer password always has to have 8 letters. It is in exactly 8 weeks from today that I will be in Thailand and would have hopefully met Ramon. Numerogically, I am supposed to be generally well balanced and positive?! Hmm?

Lying on it's side the number 8 is transformed into the mathematic infinity symbol. The definition of infinity states that: if you started walking towards a goal on an infinite horizon and you lived to be 1000 years old, you would be no closer to getting to that horizon than you were when you started 1000 years earlier. Depressing isn't it?

I have come to realise that I have to reconcile that certain things in our life that will always stay beyond my reach. No matter how hard I try and despite feeling it almost within my grasp, it will always elude me. I am no closer to it than when I started.

It is interesting how my desire for some goals consume me, drive me like the infinite repetitive action of a preprogrammed machine, without an off switch. Most of the time, I am not even aware that I do it. This action I have come to realise, does not propel me forward as a person. It is more a case of running on the spot. Stagnant and achieving no personal growth. I need to take lots of deep breaths and let some things go. Forever.

Other deeply personal insights into myself. When confronted with that whole is your figure “apple or pear shaped” question, I have often thought mine resembles more of a figure of 8. A clearly defined wide top and bottom and slightly thinner middle. I just wish it was a sightly leaner Arial Narrow kinda 8 rather than a Swis721 BlkEx BT kinda wide assed 8.

8 words I love the sound of:

  1. scrumptious
  2. squish
  3. luscious
  4. plush
  5. tenderness
  6. chocolate
  7. delicious
  8. provocative

8 words I dislike the sound of:

  1. divulge
  2. confounded
  3. carob
  4. placate
  5. blob
  6. plethora
  7. throb
  8. fat

8 of my favourite comfort foods

  1. cereal and yogurt
  2. tea and biscuits
  3. strawberries dipped in honey
  4. dark chocolate (cherry liqueur ones)
  5. cheese and preserves
  6. Windhoek Lager and Lays crisps
  7. vanilla incream cone dipped in chocolate
  8. fries with lots of salt, vinegar and tomato sauce (it has to be a really bad day)

8 of my favourite things.

  1. Being out in the wild unspoilt areas of the world brings me enormous inner peace.
  2. Trying new things for me is a bit like opening presents. I love trying new experiences, foods, books, places etc. I am a marketers dream.
  3. Cooking. There’s something about sharing with and feeding people, nourishing them. It is a spirutual experience.
  4. Shopping for presents is one of my most favourite things to do. Guilt free and theraputic I tell you. Its one of my most favourite things and one day I am going to make a profession out of it.
  5. Driving. I love driving, doesn’t matter where or what I am going. May be a control issue but I enjoy it too much to think about it. May also have something to do with the fact that I love travelling and machines that get you from A to B.
  6. Making a difference in this world is important to me. It one of the reasons I chose my career and I have the ability to changes the lives of people everyday – not just physically or environmentally. It is very rewarding.
  7. Blogging - though I wish I had more time to indulge.
  8. Sex – ditto
Other favourite things – my 8 iron. It’s a very forgiving club particularly when you strike the right person with it. Just kidding, although I have a choice individual in mind to whop with it. Here’s a little 8 iron golf humour…

Off the eight tee, Joe sliced his shot deep into a wooded ravine. He took his eight iron and clambered down the embankment in search of his lost ball. After many long minutes of hacking at the underbrush, he spotted something glistening in the leaves. As he drew nearer, he discovered that it was an eight iron in hands of a skeleton!
Joe immediately called out to his friend, "Jack, I've got trouble down here!"
"What's the matter?" Jack asked from the edge of the ravine.
"Bring me my wedge," Joe shouted. "You can't get out of here with an eight iron!"


And finally, my wish for every week: I wish for and eight day week with a three day weekend. The lyrics to Eight Days a Week by the Beatles. Is it just me or was life a lot simpler in the 60s?

Ooh I need your love babe,
Guess you know it’s true.
Hope you need my love babe,
Just like I need you.
Hold me, love me, hold me, love me.
Ain’t got nothin’but love babe,
Eight days a week...



13 comments:

Anonymous said...

what can I say? Unbelievably hot... you're the babe. Frank.Wrank.

Anonymous said...

...mmm

Flutter said...

Thanks Frankly. That was fun!

DS: is that a good "..mmm" or a bad "..mmm" ??

Anonymous said...

Nice one fluts - Maybe we can have a one-a-week tagging thing.
Great stuff, lady.

Flutter said...

Thanks Ramona and great idea! You can come up with the next tag... any ideas?

And yesterday I said it's exactly eight weeks until I go to Thailand and meet Ramon!

Anonymous said...

Ever read the book Eight? It's fab (wanted to say great, but that was just wrong).

Anonymous said...

Ever read the book Eight? It's fab (wanted to say great, but that was just wrong).

Anonymous said...

Hey Dolce, have unfortunately not read it but here its a cult classic. Sounds like something I need to get my hands one. Thanks

Fluts

Anonymous said...

howdy, fluts... thought it was about time i popped in to see your new home - i meant to copy and paste wine and flowers - but i cant google while gagging!
cool blog... think i am a numerological 3 - is that half an eight???
will definitely make an effort to pop in more often.... morticia.

Anonymous said...

Liked that 8 saga of yours Flutter - have to disagree with you on one thing though - the word 'throb'.....The Arb...she likes!

Anyway - good one girl - glad to see that some people are still blogging....awfully quiet these days all over.

Arbie

Anonymous said...

oh Fluttey.

Tea and biscuits? Please man. A Romany Cream only goes with good strong coffee. We all know this.

But a Windhoek and a Lay - who can argue with that?

Not me. Certainly not me.

Flutter said...

Thanks Morty & Arbie, thanks for dropping by. Will keep on blogging - miss you guys.

Dexie, its my warm Natalian blood -we only do tea darling. And ja, nothing like a packet of lightly salted with an ice cold Windhoek.

Anonymous said...

Hey Flutter...nothing new yet? Been checking your blog out occasionally. Been causing a bit of kak here and there - blogwise I mean....boy - sometimes I can be such a bloody arse! Anywho - hope you post soon darlin'

Arbie