Wednesday, June 27, 2007

It's family: no do-over required

Ever wish you could repaint the canvas of your life or at the very least take back a harsh word or a stupid act? I think about it a lot lately. Would I make the same choices if I have to do it over?

I try not to live a life with regrets but some things forever haunt me. Whiplash words that have scarred and stained. Enraged actions that have crushed delicate bonds. Deep set wounding that can’t be taken back, smoothed over and repaired.

A few years ago after my Mom’s memorial service I got into a fight with my brother. Some awful things were said. Long overdue things that needed to be aired. Very painful to hear and say but necessary, very necessary. Amidst tears and rage I swore I would never speak to him again. I banished him from my life and I meant it too. For a few months that is, until some persistent paternal intervention forced a reconciliation. The old guilt card was played. “He’s your only sibling! You need family! Our family is very small.” And so it went.

So here we are last weekend, watching the All Blacks crunch South Africa in the dying minutes, a picture of my mom looking down at us from on high. Just like old times. No apologies, no do overs, just my partner in unspeakable childhood capers. My buddy. My bro.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice new home flutterbye. will miss you over on amagama.

lots of love
St K Chasu

Anonymous said...

Yes - nice new blog fluts! I've bookmrked you and will pop in from time to time.
Sundays

Anonymous said...

looks nice...but it can get lonely out here in the middle on nowhere. please keep checking in for a visit

Anonymous said...

Hey Flutts, wtf I had a entire volume of sex and innuendo planned, I even put clean sheets on the fourposter. God did I have plans!!! Aw fuckit I'll drink the champers by myself then ;)

Flutter said...

Thanks DS, KC, Sundays & Vapour.
I hope to see you all here. It's the most stable site I've found and it quick and easy too.

Vapurr: 4 poster bed you say?? mmhh.. oh please don't let this little move put a damper on things. Champers on ice. Innuendo away deary!